Sandalwood is the name of a class of wood from trees in the genus Santalum. The woods are heavy, yellow, and fine-grained, and unlike many other aromatic woods, they retain their fragrance for decades.
A lesser known fact is that sandalwood can be used in various homemade mixtures for numerous types of beauty treatments. It is widely used in India due to its incredible properties.
Homemade mixtures have the advantage of knowing exactly what’s in them and we can go all natural, no need for expensive cosmetics or chemicals that do us more harm than good in the end.
- Tanning: Tanning can lead to the development of early skin ageing and also the darkening of the skin. If you want to get rid of the tanning effects then sandalwood is the answer. All you have to do is mix sandalwood powder with honey, lemon juice and curd and apply to the face. After 15 minutes wash the mixture off of your face and you will find reduced tanning effects and a much smoother skin than before.
- Ageing: If you fear that the skin on your face is showing signs of sagging or ageing then all you need to do is to prepare a face pack by mixing egg yolk with honey, sandalwood oil and an essential oil of your choice. This should be applied to the face and left until it dries up. It will also help clear blemishes if you apply 1 pack daily in the morning or before bed.
- Softening: Sandalwood oil when combined with your favourite massage oil can become the best solution for a silky smooth skin. Another method is to add some sandalwood powder in the bottle of massage oil and leave alone for 12 hours to mix. The best combination I found is with coconut oil, which is another incredible natural substance for beauty treatments.
- Pimples and Acne: Most anti-acne products contain sandalwood. The natural trick here is to combine sandalwood powder with turmeric and saffron. The resulting paste should be applied on the face. Another natural treatment for acne includes a mixture of black gram powder and sandalwood powder. It is highly effective because it acts as a cleansing agent and cleans the pores thoroughly.
- Itching: By making a paste of sandalwood powder with turmeric and lemon juice and applying it to an itchy area for about 30 minutes you will see that the sensation disappears and you will also find that redness has also subsided.
- Clearing: As I earlier mentioned, sandalwood is excellent at softening and clearing skin. Mix some almond powder, milk, honey, turmeric or lemon juice with sandalwood powder in order to clear your complexion.
It is really easy to make any of these mixtures for any skin issue you may want to get rid of, it doesn’t take much time and certainly the amazing effects are worth it.